Monday, January 25, 2010

Geographic Tongue

I took Rylee to the doctor today because her tongue looked like the skin had peeled off on half of it, and also because she has a really bad cough and is sneezing like crazy.
Dr. Mumford took one look at her tongue and asked me if I knew what it was. I said I didn't and asked if he did. He said he did and commented that Rylee gives him lots of interesting things to look at (referring to her mystery case of mites or perhaps granuloma annulare on her hand last summer.) He told me that she has what's called "geographic tongue," so named for the splotchy shapes that resemble continents on a globe. Apparently it's a common pediatric diagnosis whose cause is unknown and for which there is no treatment. If you have it you have it for life, but the symptoms come and go. I'll have to take a picture of Rylee's tongue, but she's sleeping right now, so I pulled this image off of google images...this is the closest picture I saw there to what her tongue looks like:
You can google or wikipedia (or whatever else you like) geographic tongue and get all kinds of info on it. I read on wikipedia that geographic tongue is associated with several different genes and that it is more commonly found in people who have asthma, allergies or eczema...I'm pretty sure Rylee has allergies and gets eczema sometimes, so I guess we'll have to keep an eye on her and hope she doesn't get asthma! Poor baby. (I also read that it tends to flair up more often during ovulation, pregnancy, or while taking birth control...pretty sure none of those are the cause!)

Separately, remember my post about 1 1/2 weeks ago with Rylee's growth stats that I thought were way off? Well, I was right. Eleven days ago, Rylee weighed 29.76 lbs; today she weighed 28.44 lbs. I did ask the nurse to print off her growth chart for me again today just to satisfy my curiosity, and that not-quite-pound-and-a-half difference brought her down from the 41st percentile to the 26th percentile for weight. She was still wearing clothes when her weight was taken today, just not a full coat and everything! At any rate, 26th percentile sounds a lot more accurate to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment