Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Bye Bye Binks!

Well, I did it. We've been talking for a long time about getting rid of Rylee's bink once and for all, but I've always had some excuse not to do it. It's been several months since we got her down to only using them when she sleeps, but I decided that it's really time to be done. So, tonight I cut the tips off of all of the binks I could find. I was really worried about how Rylee would react. I anticipated that she would throw a fit for hours before finally falling asleep. But I was pleasantly surprised! She walked in to her bed and picked up her purple bink and inspected it for a moment and then looked up at me and said "Purple bink broke, Mommy!" I told her to look for her other binks. So she did, and with each one, she told me that it was broken, too. She kind of tried to suck on them while I read her bedtime stories. When I left her room, she cried for a few minutes. Then Quinn called (he had just finished working) so I took the phone in for her to talk to him. After that, she said she wanted to "sleep in Mommy bed," so I made a deal with her; I told her she could sleep there, but if I heard her cry or get out of bed I would take her back to the "big girl bed." So, she went in my room, laid down, and I didn't hear another peep out of her! Hopefully that will be the end of it, but I'm not really counting on it...
So, onto other things. I've been enjoying really yummy tomatoes from my garden lately. Cailyn has been enjoying any food that she can manage to get in her mouth. We were at Costco the other day and I gave her tastes of whatever samples I could, but when the sample was something she wasn't big enough to eat, she would throw a fit!
She is starting to figure out how to scoot a little bit. She has resisted getting her hips up off the floor and putting weight on her knees...these pictures are from a few weeks ago when I positioned her on her hands and knees:She got pretty angry with me...
...I did it a few times and she never liked it at all.
Then a few days ago, she figured out how to scoot across the couch inch-worm-style.
She seemed very proud of herself! (I have some video footage of her little trek, but I can't get it to load for some reason...)

G is for Glittery Giraffe
This is Rylee's most recent Alphabet Craft. I think it's my favorite we've done so far - it turned out pretty cute! (In case you can't tell, the color she's painting with is glitter glue...)


Rylee has discovered the hose as of late...

She got her 3rd haircut on Monday. It's amazing to me how good her memory is! I'd been telling her for a few weeks that we need to get her hair cut, so she would ask me about it all the time and talk about the airplane chair and balloons and such. On Monday morning when I told her it was time for her hair cut, she got really excited. We went to get her dressed and she told me she needed to wear her orange shirt - which is the same shirt she wore when she got her hair cut in April! I don't know how she remembered that, I only remembered it from pictures. Unfortunately, her orange shirt was dirty, so she chose another outfit. Then she started talking about the airplane chair, but then she said "I mahn it airplane! I sit pink car!" (I don't want the airplane! I sit in the pink car!) Then she told me she wanted a blue balloon and a lollipop, and said she was going to watch Elmo and blow bubbles.
This is the "before" shot of her scraggly hair:
And here's the "after" shot.
I'm SO excited - the hair on top of her head has almost caught up with the rest of it (at least now that we chopped it to just below her ears.) Next haircut, she'll be all evened up! Unfortunately, they were all out of blue balloons, so she chose an orange one.
When I was reading Goodnight Moon with Rylee tonight, she pointed at the red balloon and the bunny in bed and said "She get a haircut!"
Yesterday we went to the Thanksgiving Point gardens with Katie, Ava and their friends Melanie, Wiley, and Naomi. They're having a special in August - every Tuesday you can get in to any of their exhibits for $2! It was a beautiful day, and we all had a good time.
I'm including this picture of Rylee playing in the water part of the gardens because, besides the fact that her little bum is cute in her ruffly swimsuit, you can see the back of her haircut!


No comments:

Post a Comment