Monday, July 5, 2010

Oh CRASH! my BASH! it's BANG! the ZANG! Fourth WHOOSH! of BAROOM! July WHEW!

I loved Shel Silverstein poems when I was little...this one just came to mind, which makes me think, Rylee is probably getting close to an age where she could appreciate his work as well...

Anyway, I'm better at telling my stories through pictures than poetry, so here's how we celebrated Independence Day:

Saturday morning, our stake had an AWESOME party! I remember having church pancake breakfasts for the 4th growing up - this party had pancakes... ...but it also had burritos...

...a fire truck...

...a band...

...as well as balloons, bounce houses (is that what those huge blow up trampoline thingys are called?), a gun show, and many other things that I didn't get pictures of. The only thing it was missing was a fly-over!

The girls really liked listening to the band. Rylee said she wanted to get a "little tuba when I get bigger." I think she later said that she also wanted some drums.

That evening, we had a little shindig of sorts at our house...a barbeque, guys watching the UFC fight, and moms and kids doing fireworks out front in the cul de sac. I didn't snap any pictures of this, but the kids had a blast! Rylee loved everything about the fireworks and wanted to hold as many sparklers as she could - she's always been that way. Cailyn, on the other hand, had a love-hate relationship with the fireworks; every time we lit one, she started screaming/crying, but within seconds she was excitedly yelling "Fireworks! Fireworks!" She held one sparkler, but after that threw her head back and yelled "Nononononono!" every time I tried to give her another one.

*************

On Sunday, I spent the first hour of nursery sitting in the corner of the room - Cailyn would notice when I left and would cry for me, but didn't really need me once I was in the room. Anyway, I snapped a few bubble pictures while I was there.
And here are the McNamara girls all together in our patriotic get-up after church...
(Writing on chalkboards is one of Rylee's favorite pastimes)
Then we took a minute to smell the flowers on the way to the car...
Back at home, we went on a little walk through the neighborhood...
( I told the girls not to pick these flowers...oh well!)
Rylee loves walking on "beams" whenever she sees them.
Cailyn likes to copy Rylee...
As time goes on, it gets more and more difficult to get these two to simultaneously look at the camera...
When night came, we drove up with some of our new friends to watch the Pismo Beach fireworks from a hill just east of the 101. It was a bit of a hike and there were lots of burrs, but the view was great, and there weren't any crowds (:
Hope you had a great Fourth, too!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your stake goes all out! The fourth was always my favorite holiday back in the states...It is even better when you get to celebrate it for the whole weekend! The girls are so cute. I'm glad you guys had so much fun; I'll just live vicariously through you a little bit:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you guys had a blast:) Super cute pictures:)

    ReplyDelete