Friday, March 11, 2011

Baby Birds and Frosting

Cailyn has been asking to make cupcakes for a several days now. So today while Rylee was at preschool, I decided to bake with her; we actually made chocolate chip banana bread muffins, but ssshhhhh...don't tell Cailyn, she thinks they were cupcakes! (Although, this recipe might as well be cupcakes for it's nutritional value...)
Anyway, she wanted to help with EVERYTHING. She tried to help me crack the first egg and I told her "Cailyn, this is a mommy job." She immediately reached for the next egg and said "This is a Cai-wyn job!" Then she proceeded to tell me that there was a baby bird inside of the egg.


*I didn't realize until I watched this back that this is what she was talking about when she said "Reindeer Cupcakes"...I'm always amazed at what kids remember!
(What a confusing place the world is for two-year-olds...mixing baby birds into cupcakes!)
She LOVED smashing the bananas! She recognized the potato masher as the same thing we use to make guacamole.





Of course, when I tried to video her telling me about the guacamole, she wouldn't cooperate. But she sure was cute "smash"ing!

As she sat down to eat her cupcake, I asked "did you make that, Cailyn?"
She proudly said "Yes, I'm a BIG girl!"

*******
Cailyn was napping when Rylee, who apparently had a rough day (skinned knee, substitute teacher, and who knows what else), got home from preschool.
She had a bit of a meltdown...until I suggested that she eat a cupcake. But, of course, she wanted frosting. So I pulled this nasty tube of frosting out of the back of my cupboard and let her have at it.
Apparently her troubles were of the I-need-to-squirt-frosting-straight-into-my-mouth-to-feel-better sort.
Yes, that tube was FULL when I gave it to her...

Can you just see the stress of the day written all over her face? Thank goodness for cupcakes and frosting to help her unwind! (I'm pretty sure I've had that same blank stare on my face as I've shoveled cookie dough into my mouth a few times...)
I guess it was just the medicine she needed - she kept squeezing more and more frosting out the whole time she was eating.
Milk - Rylee's drink of choice to chase her troubles away.
On a side note, I have almost finished all of my Joy of Love photos...even though I didn't quite manage to do one every day, I've had fun with it and have learned quite a bit. I plan to post the pictures sometime in the next few days.

1 comment:

  1. It IS a confusing world, isn't it? Well said. I struggle with the egg issue all the time.

    Cupcakes......think I heard some "discussion" about said cupcakes while chatting with you. Good times!

    ReplyDelete