Sunday, March 6, 2011

Two and Four

I finally got the girls in for their two- and four-year-old well visits a couple weeks ago - about 2.5 and 1.5 months late, respectively. Which is not a big deal, but normally I'm very on top of scheduling these appointments as close to their birthdays as possible. Wanna know the reason that I was late this year? Probably not, but I'll tell you anyway.


I have growth chart OCD.


Never heard of it before? Well I have a severe case of it.


One of the (many) reasons that I loved Dr. Mumford (our pediatrician in Utah) was because he kept digital growth charts of his patients; every time we went in for a check up, we walked out with printouts of all the growth charts, which included not only graphs, but also all of the exact measurements and percentiles by date for every visit that we'd ever had with him. I LOVED getting these. And I just might have a special folder in my filing cabinet where I save them.




Anyway, I didn't particularly love the pediatrician office here where we took Rylee when she was a baby, so I wanted to find a new doctor here. I asked around for recommendations and got a few. But every time I asked about the growth chart printouts, people said they never got anything of the sort.


I actually considered waiting to get the girls' shots updated, etc. until April when we are going to Utah so that I could schedule appointments with Dr. Mumford. Yes, (mostly) just so that I could get updated growth chart printouts.
Convinced that I'm crazy yet?
Well, I'm happy to say that I conquered the crazies! At least sort of...I was able to convince myself that a digital growth chart tracker was not necessarily what makes a good doctor, and that the girls really should have a doctor closer than 800 miles away. So I called Dr. Karp's office (recommended by Dr. Sarah, our awesome chiropractor that we have loved since Rylee was a baby) and scheduled well child visits. And while I did miss Dr. Mumford's office, I liked Dr. Karp. He was friendly, personable, and good with the kids. I just gritted my teeth while I watched him manually plot my girls' measurements onto a piece of paper and wondered whether he was accounting for the extra months between their birthdays and the actual visit when calculating their percentiles. (Do I dare admit that I actually for a few minutes considered calling Dr. Mumford's office and asking them to enter the stats into their records and sending me copies? Well, it's true...luckily I talked myself out of it and just found a growth chart calculator on the internet and double checked Dr. Karp's numbers...like I said, I sort of conquered the crazies.)
So, enough about me and my obsessions, on to my cute little growing girls.
Cailyn Del
Age: 2 years, 2 months, and 3 weeks
Weight: 27 lbs. 9 oz. - Dr. Karp said 50%ile, internet said 48%ile
Height: 34 1/8" - Dr. Karp said 40%ile, internet said 35%ile
Head Circumfrence: 20 3/8" - Dr. Karp said 100%ile, internet said 100%ile

Rylee Skye
Age: 4 years, 1 month, 2 weeks
Weight: 34 lbs. 8 oz - Dr. Karp said 48%ile, internet said 41%ile
Height: 39 1/4" - Dr. Karp said 5%ile, internet said 30%ile

Here's where I think my OCD may have been useful (?): Dr. Karp said that if Rylee hits puberty at normal age she'll wind up being 5'0" (apparently at 4 years old they're supposed to be able to tell this - kind of like you can tell how big a puppy will be by looking at his paws). I laughed when he told me that; I'm 5'5" and Quinn is 6'2". But there's a big difference between 5% and 30%...so I'm kind of inclined to think that he was a bit off...

1 comment:

  1. Wait a second. I thought it was Cindy Rylee?

    LOVE your criteria for choosing a pediatrician. I've always trusted going by the paint color in their office. Maybe I'll try your method.

    ReplyDelete