Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Day in Portland

 The day after the wedding, I drove down to Portland for a quick trip to spend some time with Anne. I was there for not quite 24 hours, but we had a great time! The timing worked out perfectly - since it was Labor Day, Anne didn't have any classes, which was lucky because PA school sure does keep her busy!
I got there Sunday night and Anne had invited our childhood friend, Courtney Hansen, who happens to be in Anne's ward now over for dinner. It was yummy and fun to catch up a little bit!
On Monday Anne and I headed out and about. Our first stop was Sauvie Island where we did a little berry picking.





 We got a little nerdy taking pictures...

See no evil...
Hear no evil...
Speak no evil.

Most other things were out of season, but we did get corn (how can you pass on it when it's BODACIOUS?) and the pumpkin patch was coming along nicely.


 The flowers were also beautiful!

I think I'd want to live here too if I were a grasshopper!
 Then we headed into town where we visited Powell's Books - if I weren't on such a time crunch I could have spent all day there! But as it was, we only had time to go into the children's section. Our berry picking had made us think of Blueberries for Sal and we decided that the girls needed a copy, so we picked up a copy of that, as well as a copy of Stone Soup that caught our eye, and then we were on our way. We walked around the art exhibit that was going on a block or so from Powells and then ate some yummy Thai food from a food cart. On our way back to the car we saw a gelato store, so of course we had to get some of that. 

Next stop was Voodoo Donuts. I'd seen a special on the food network that featured it once and was intrigued, and Anne agreed that it was a must while I was in the area. Since we had just stuffed ourselves silly, we just bought donuts for me to bring home to San Diego.
Why plan a wedding when you can have Voodoo Donuts do it for you?
 We waited in line for probably at least half an hour...

Yes, that is a piece of bubble gum on top of that pink donut.
 Then it was time for me to head back to Tri-Cities to catch my flight home. We took a few pictures at Anne's house first. Look what a pretty view she has! It's a great house.

Back at home, Cailyn LOVED the Froot Loop donut I brought her.

 Rylee seemed excited (after all, she does eat Froot Loops almost every morning for breakfast, and what's better than your favorite food on top of a donut?) at first...

 but ultimately decided that cereal belongs in a bowl.
 She wound up picking all the Froot Loops off and ate them separately.
 Oh well, at least I tried!
 The blackberries were a hit though!
 Personally I left all the toppings on my donut; how can you go wrong with BACON on top of a maple donut?
Thanks for a fun day, Anne!

1 comment:

  1. That view is amazing!

    And, the donuts........even I would get in trouble there and I don't care for pastries. The fruit loop one looks awesome, as does the bacon clad!

    ReplyDelete